Jamil Warney (199cm, C) was by far the most dominant.
Seoul SK defeated Changwon LG 73-68 in the first game of the 2022-2023 SKT A-Dot Pro Basketball Quarterfinals playoff held at the Changwon Indoor Gymnasium on the 14th. The winning team in the first leg of the semifinal playoffs had a 78% (39/50) chance of advancing to the championship match.
SK was completely caught up in LG’s momentum at the beginning of the 3rd quarter. However, Jameel Warney (199cm, C) came out as a hero to save the country. He completely trampled on the LG defense with floaters and spin moves in the paint zone, and led SK to 13 consecutive wins (9 straight wins in 6 rounds + 3 straight wins in the best of 6 playoffs + 1 win in the best of 4 playoffs).
1Q: Seoul SK 16-13 Changwon LG: Fighting mood
[SK-LG, 1Q 1Q time slot score]
– 1Q start ~ 1Q start 3:3: 8-0
– 1Q start 3:3: 1Q end: 8-13 * All big games
in front of SK get a lot of atmosphere.
It means that the explosive power of a moment can make a lot of score difference.
SK made good use of this early in the game. Calmly attacked LG, which was overpowered. Because there was a clear scorer named Jamil Warney (199cm, C), SK was able to calmly score points. The reason why SK took an 8-0 lead in 3 minutes and 3 seconds from the start of the game.
However, LG was receiving enthusiastic support from home fans. Whatever play he did, the home fans applauded. An element that LG can raise the atmosphere.
Dante Cunningham (203cm, F) made good use of this. In particular, the two-handed dunk done 1 minute and 32 seconds before the end of the first quarter maximized Changwon’s yellow wave. (LG fans who entered the first game received yellow T-shirts reading ‘Let’s go Sakers!’) made equal.
2Q: Changwon LG 35-31 Seoul SK: Speed fight
[LG-SK, 2Q key record comparison]
– Score: 22-15
– Score by quick attack: 4-0
– Score by turnover: 9-5Both teams tried to do the best they could. However, there was only a difference in the results. In the second quarter alone, LG did a good job with the virtuous cycle of ‘defense-rebound (or steal)-fast attack’. In particular, LG made 4 points with a fast break in the last 1 minute and 35 seconds of the 2nd quarter. The last scene was a masterpiece. This is because Kim Jun-il (200cm, C) threw himself on the floor for a loose ball, and LG players who took over this organically scored a quick break. * Both LG and SK pursue fast basketball with LG
in front .
So, the LG coaching staff and players, and the SK coaching staff and players, all considered the process of making a quick break important before the game, saying, “Rebounding, defense, and fast attack must be in a virtuous cycle.”
LG coach Cho Sang-hyun spared no applause for the quick-breaking goal. On the other hand, SK coach Jeon Hee-cheol looked at the players for a while as they conceded a quick run. And he lengthened the halftime meeting. I don’t know what it was, but it was clear that the message was thrown. (SK players only came back to the court 4 minutes and 30 seconds before the end of half time)
YouTube channel specializing in basketball asked SPOTV commentator Lee Kyu-seop, “If Stephen Curry comes to KBL, can Curry’s team win the championship?”
After hearing the question, commentator Lee Kyu-seop said, “It won’t be easy. How is Curry going to stop Jameel Warney?” Commentator Lee Kyu-seop’s answer caused a big wave. Curry is the best superstar in the NBA, and Warney is a player with little NBA experience.
But the reason is clear. Warney is a player who shows power in the paint zone, and Curry is a player who is strong outside the 3-point line. In particular, in a league where big man-type foreign players are important, such as KBL, it is difficult to see commentator Lee Kyu-seop’s words wrong. 스포츠토토
Warney achieved a double-double with 12 points, 11 rebounds (attack 4), 2 assists and 1 steal until the first half. Even when SK was pushed 41-52 in the 3rd quarter, Warney showed his strength. It shook the LG defense with an under-the-goal attack that was difficult to block. He saved the difficult SK from a crisis.
4Q: Seoul SK 73-68 Changwon LG: Critical Strike
[SK, the result of the first leg of the semifinal playoffs since the 2010s]
1. 2000.03.18. vs Suwon Samsung (now Seoul Samsung) @ Cheongju: 107-82 (Win)
2. 2001.03.18. vs Changwon LG @Changwon : 106-108 (L)
3. 2002.03.27. vs Jeonju KCC @Jamsil Indoor: 74-81 (L)
4. 2013.04.01. vs Anyang KGC Ginseng Corporation @ Jamsil Student: 75-67 (W)
5. 2014.03.23. vs Ulsan Mobis (now Ulsan Hyundai Mobis) @ Ulsan: 62-71 (lose)
6. 2018.03.29. vs Jeonju KCC @ Jamsil Student: 88-81 (Win)
7. 2022.04.20. vs Goyang Orion (now Goyang Carrot) @ Jamsil Student: 101-83 (win)
8. 2023.04.14. vs Changwon LG @ Changwon: 73-68 (Win)
* Including Cheongju SK days (items 1 and 2)
* Team record in the first round of the semi-final playoffs: 5 wins and 3 losses
Choi Boo-gyeong (200cm, F) was in the early part of the 4th quarter Attacked the LG rim. Penetrating to the bottom of the rim with a ballless movement, Kim Seon-hyung (187cm, G) and Warney’s pass were finished with a reverse layup.
And Choi Seong-won (184cm, G) came forward. Kim Seon-hyung’s kick-out pass finished with 3 points. It made the score run away at 63-53. And Lee Kwan-hee (191cm, G)’s proprietary watch ceremony was held in front of Changwon fans. The remaining time was 7 minutes and 20 seconds.
Warnie turned the Changwon Indoor Gymnasium into a library. With a floater following the breakthrough, he broke even the final morale of the LG defense. In particular, the plotter who did it 4 minutes and 2 seconds before the end of the game was a fatal blow. Because it was a score to run away with 71-57. Having delivered a fatal blow, SK was no longer threatened with a come-from-behind defeat. 2 minutes and 59 seconds before the end of the game, Kim Seon-hyung and Choi Bu-kyung were called to the bench.